Mission: To Support the Education and Empowerment of People Through Technology
WHO WE ARE
Hidden Abilities is creating a brighter future for those with dyslexia through the use of new and developing technologies. Founders Jamee and Payden Miller are working to do more than develop an incredible product, they’re trying to create a change in the way society views dyslexia and spark a discussion about learning disorders in households around the world.
THE READ 'N STYLE PEN
The Read ‘n Style pen is the first digital pen beautifully designed to improve reading speed and comprehension, leaving a kid free to be a kid. Featuring a completely wireless design, the Read ‘n Style pen is made for on-the-go students who have trouble getting through their classwork because of their reading speed.
THE READ 'N STYLE ADVANTAGE
The Read ‘n Style pen will help your son or daughter learn to overcome obstacles on their own, boosting their self-confidence and making them more independent.
By using the Read ‘n Style pen, your child will be more efficient, knocking out their schoolwork in a fraction of the time and leaving them free to be a kid.
- Because the Read ‘n Style pen can’t store information, students can use it on tests with no risk of cheating.
HOW IT WORKS
Just press the top mounted button and slide the device over the text. When the button is released, the text will be read aloud using a small, discreet Bluetooth earpiece.
Discreet design so students can use it at school
Accurate word recognition and quick processing speed
Smooth, easy to understand reading voices
- Micro USB port for easy charging with existing cell phone chargers
Hidden Abilities began when Jamee was in elementary school. Like many others, she struggled with reading. When Jamee had homework, she went to her mom for help. The two of them sat at the kitchen table taking turns reading. Jamee would read a page and her mom read the next until they were finished. When it was her mom’s turn, Jamee would follow along with her, reading the words on the page as her mom pronounced them out loud. Seeing the words, then hearing them read helped Jamee understand what she was reading, improved her spelling, and built her vocabulary.
Flash forward to 2013; Jamee’s in a college trying to read a “wall of text” the professor assigned. “There’s no way I’ll be able to finish even half of this reading in the time allowed!” Jamee thought to herself in frustration. “I wish there was a better way.” Suddenly, the memories of all those late nights and early mornings reading with her mom came back to her, and she thought, “What if I had a device that did just what mom had done?” Lightning flashed and thunder rumbled throughout the room. The Read ‘n Style pen was born. At least that’s how Jamee tells it.
WHERE THE TEAM IS NOW
Since Jamee’s breakthrough idea, she and her husband Payden have assembled a team of incredibly talented individuals to help make this vision a reality.
In 2015, the team was accepted into The Catalyst, a business incubator developed by The University of Kansas. The Catalyst provides the team with office space, access to mentors, investors, and experts in a variety of fields, all of whom are helping them develop the Read 'n Style pen quickly so they can get it into the hands of those who need it the most.
- What is Kickstarter - Kickstarter is an online crowdfunding platform that helps creators find the resources and support they need to make their ideas a reality.
- Why crowdfund - We’re launching a Kickstarter campaign to help raise the funds necessary to get the Read ‘n Style pen on the market. We’ve gotten to this point without having to spend much money, but we’ve gone as far as we can and we need your help.
- When is it - The campaign goes live on Saturday, October first, and will run the duration of the month.
- How you can help - Kickstarter is all or nothing. That means if we aren't able to reach our funding goal we get nothing. That's why it's crucial that we have your support. You can help out by backing our project, and then sharing with all your friends on social media.
- More info - Visit this page for more detailed look into our upcoming Kickstarter.
SIGN UP NOW
Fill out the form below right now to sign up for our newsletter. You'll get the most up to date information and automatically be entered to win your very own Read 'n Style pen, free of charge just for signing up.